- ’17 Mazda BT-50 ‘sportier, more powerful presence’
- Warranty/service now three-year/unlimited distance
- Thailand assembly, fresh models added
JOHANNESBURG, South Africa – It’s five years since the Mazda BT-50 reached South Africa with, it was said at the time, “modern and refined styling that defies the conventional workhorse image”.
The intent back then, Mazda says, was to widen bakkie-appeal to “families and fun-seekers”; the arrival of the facelifted units comes with a new bossman for the brand in SA and is seen by the company as “being introduced to further cater to recreational buyers who enjoy outdoor and urban lifestyles”.
So. what’s new…?
Exterior styling has taken on a new ‘face’, access steps and tail-lights have been redesigned and 17″ aluminum wheel rims introduced. The cabins been refined and Bluetooth added along with steering-wheel switches and cruise control from the SLX model up.
SIX-SPEED AUTO OR MANUAL
SLE models now have a reversing camera, auto-dimming interior mirror and power seat-adjustment for the driver.
The BT-50 Double Cab will, as before, be available as 2.2 4×2 SLE and 3.2 4×4 SLE six-speed manuals and six-speed auto as well as new 2.2 4×2 SLX six-speed manual and six-speed auto 2.2 4×2 6 SLE – each assembled in Thailand.
Colour options will be red, aluminium metallic, white, black, blue and titanium and each will be delivered with a three-year unlimited distance factory warranty, three-year service plan and three years of free roadside assistance.
MODELS AND PRICES
BT-50 2.2 DE SLX 6MT 4X2 – R441 600
- Max power 110kW at 3700rpm
- Max torque 375Nm from 1500-2500rpm
- Fuel consumption 7.6/100km possible
- Six-speed manual
- Six speakers
- 16″ alloy wheel rims
- Bluetooth and audio system (radio/CD/USB/Aux)
- Multifunction steering-wheel switches
- Cruise control
- Locking rear differential
- Tailgate lock
- Cloth upholstery
- Temperature display
- Front power windows
- Six crash bags
- Side steps
- Front foul-weather lights
- Power adjustable external mirrors
- Air conditioning
BT-50 2.2 DE SLE six-speed 4X2 – R447 700
BT-50 2.2 DE SLE six-speed a/t – R497 700
- Dual-zone aircon
- Leather upholstery
- Power windows
- High-end audio system
- 17″ alloy wheel rims
- Automatic headlights
- Automatic screen wipers
- Parking sensors and reversing camera
- Auto-dimming mirror
- Power driver’s seat/lumbar adjustment
BT-50L 3.2 DE SLE six-speed 4X4 – R541 700
BT-50L 3.2 DE SLE six-speed a/t – R555 700
- Max power 147kW at3000rpm
- Max torque 470Nm from 1750-2500rpm
- Fuel consumption m/t 9.3/100km, a/t 9.7/100km)
- Load adaptive control
- Trailer sway mitigation
- Rollover mitigation
- Gradient-start assist
- Gradient-descent control