Motoring News

Big numbers, beaut bikes, at 2018 World Ducati Week

  • Record 91 596 attendees in 3 days at 10th WDW 
  • Races, shows, music, tens of thousands of motorcycles
  • 13 Panigale V4 S units raced by the Ducati riders on eBay
2018 DUCATI WEEK AT MISANO. Image: Ducati / Newspress
2018 DUCATI WEEK AT MISANO. Image: Ducati / Newspress

MISANO ADRIATICO, Rimini – The 10th World Ducati Week international biennial over the weekend (July 20-22 2018) scored a record attendance of tens of thousands of bikers from all over the world at the Misano World Circuit.

Over the three days 91 596 attendees from 73 countries beat the previous record of 81 000 set in 2016. While 60% of the riders were Italian, the remaining 40% were proof of Ducati’s worldwide appeal.

Of particular note were Ken Lu and Lv Fei, Chinese who rode their Multistrada 1200 Enduro from Xinjiang (China) to Bologna in seven days – an extraordinary undertaking of 7570km through 10 countries.

2018 DUCATI WEEK AT MISANO. Image: Ducati / Newspress
2018 DUCATI WEEK AT MISANO. Image: Ducati / Newspress

Events included meetings and autograph sessions with Ducati racers, riding courses and test rides of new motorcycles, taxi drives on the track with high-performance Lamborghini, Audi and Seat cars, technical courses at a Ducati University, performances by stuntmen, and track laps.

EXCLUSIVE ‘PREVIEW ROOM’

Thematic areas included the colourful ‘Land of Joy’ of the Ducati Scrambler world, a Monster Village (celebrating the iconic Monster’s 25th anniversary), a Panigale and Multistrada Experience featuring Carlin Dunne’s Multistrada 1260 Pikes Peak 2018 winner at the Pikes Peak hillclimb.

The exclusive “preview room” prepared for WDW2018 attracted great interest and long queues eager to preview of one of Ducati’s 2019 motorcycles.

READ 10 MORE Ducati features on Carman’s Corner

The event area covered 90 000sq m in the circuit – 75,000 for the paddock and more than 15000 for the off-road area and Ducati Scrambler Flat Race & School and Driving Safety.

A ‘Race of Champions’ featured 12 Ducati MotoGP and SBK champions aboard Panigale V4 S units prepared with racing configuration and customised liveries – ”a show without equal that only Ducati could offer, a real race won by Michele Pirro, followed by Rabat, Forés, Miller, Melandri, Rinaldi, then Dovizioso, Siméon, Petrucci, Lorenzo, Abraham and Bayliss.

2018 DUCATI WEEK AT MISANO. Image: Ducati / Newspress
2018 DUCATI WEEK AT MISANO. Image: Ducati / Newspress

Fans all over the world have been able to bid on eBay for one of the 13 Panigale V4 S bikes (including that prepared for Chaz Davies, who crashed during training and was replaced by Xavier Siméon). The auction will end on Saturday July 28 at 6 pm.

Every Ducati employee was involved in planning the event and during the weekend more than 250 (managers, engineers, technicians and employees) mucked in.

2018 DUCATI WEEK AT MISANO. Image: Ducati / Newspress
2018 DUCATI WEEK AT MISANO. Image: Ducati / Newspress

Some numbers from WDW2018:

  • 10 250 laps on the track completed by cars and motorcycles
  • 43 000 photos taken by staff photographers
  • 72 hours of video shot during the three days
  • 73 nations-of-origin of the 91 596 WDW2018 participants
  • 147 Ducati Owners’ Clubs from 33 countries, five continents
  • A selection of 249 different activities carried out
  • 30 minutes, the time it took for the parade of Ducati motorcycles to exit the World Circuit as it departed for Rimini
  • 24 hours of Enduro with Multistrada 1200 Enduro
  • 40 bikes available for test rides attracted 1200 people
  • 15 special Monster bikes selected for the “Garage Contest”
  • 10 motorcycle finalists at the Heritage Contest
  • Eight Audi R8, three Seat Cupra TCR and four Lamborghini Huracán Performante vehicles available to the public for a track taxi drives
  • One  World Ducati Wedding celebrated by Chaz Davies and two marriage proposals made
  • 388 Ducati and Ducati Scrambler flags flown
  • Three Live bands in the paddock

Digital Ducati numbers:

  • WDW2018 dedicated website with 45 pages for a total of 612 000 page views
  • Instagram: Impressions 17 million, reach: 13 million
  • Facebook: Impressions: 22 898 694, reach: 14 949 151

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s