- Extra gears ‘mean faster lap times’
- Uprated suspenson for greater grip
- Extra luxury goodies for the Camaro cabin
DETROIT, Michigan – The 2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE, said to be the fastest, most track-capable, Camaro yet, will from late in February be offered in the US with an industry-leading 10-speed auto transmission.
Chevrolet’s engineers are said to have pushed the limits of the automatic transmission to be more than a half-second faster than the standard manual on General Motors’ own 4.64km track.
On longer tracks such as the Nürburgring, where maximum benefit can be gained from the extra cogs and ”lightning-quick” shifts will mean extra seconds shaved off lap times set by the previous six-speed manual.
Camaro’s chief engineer Mark Dickens told The Corner from Detroit: “This transmission is optimised for speed. With unique ‘Track Mode’ calibratios and 10 gears the driver can always match gear to speed.
”Owners might not be professional racers – but at least they can shift like one!”
The gearbox will include a paddle-shifter for manual ‘box control from the steering-wheel.
Unique calibrations have also been made to the transmission, electronic limited-slip differential, and performance traction management system. Front and rear Multimatic DSSV (dynamic suspension spool valve) shock-absorbers have been tuned to accommodate the quicker shifts and weight transfer.
‘IT’S WHAT CUSTOMERS WANT’
New hardware includes a new transmission oilpan and another cooling duct for the steering gear.
Steve Majoros, director of Chevrolet car and crossover marketing, expanded on the media release: “Adding an auto is another example of the Camaro portfolio delivering what customers want. This 1LE is an appealing option true to its racing heritage.”
Other Camaro ZL1 1LE features include:
• Downforce-producing aero: Unique features include a carbon-fibre rear wing, specific front air deflectors and dive planes for grip-generating downforce .
• Adjustable suspension: Racing-derived shocks front and rear with adjustable front ridge height and camber geometry. The rear stabiliser has three accessible settings.
• Wheels and tyres: Forged aluminum wheel rims are 2.54cm wider but a also 2.54cm smaller, front and rear, than standard ZL1 wheels and shod with (warm weather) Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3R tyres1 that deliver extra lateral grip.
• Supercharged performance: The power behind the ZL1 1LE is the supercharged, 485kW, LT4 engine. Brembo brakes are included, along with dual-zone automatic aircon, a Bose audio system, heatable and ventilated front seats and heatable steering wheel.
The ZL1 1LE Track Performance Package has a recommended prices of $7500, the 10-speed auto adds $1595.