- Catalogue of more than 170 Mopar accessories
- Modified Ram 2500 Heavy Duty has off-road lights
- Concept products include beadlock wheel rims
CHICAGO, ILLINOIS – The Mopar and Ram Truck brands unveiled at the February 2019 Chicago auto show included a modified Ram 2500 Heavy Duty truck to highlight some of more than 170 products Mopar has for the most powerful, most capable, bakkie in the US segment.
Steve Beahm, parts, service and car brands boss with FCA North America, told The Corner in a media release: ”The Mopar-modified Ram 2500 Heavy Duty on display at the show is the latest example of our commitment to a full product line right at launch of FCA US vehicles,.
”Whether for trail, street or work, Mopar will have more than 170 parts and accessories tfor the new 2019 Ram Heavy Duty.”
The big bakkies are based on the 2019 Ram 2500 Heavy Duty Big horn model but with a 6.4-litre HEMI V8. Those in the images are finished in Metallic Blue Streak and fitted with Mopar parts and accessories and a few concept products.
Mopar bits include a black powder-coated Ram Bar in the loadbed and topped with five large diode off-road lights operated from a bank of switches in the cab.
The loadbed step (a production option also available as a Mopar accessory) drops/lifts fnd retracts with a gentle push. A set of Mopar off-road wheel flares defends against the trail (and, of course, boosts the macho).
A pair of Mopar conceptual products work together to deliver tough, durable off-road capability.
Conceptual off-road rock rails are powder-coated and provide protection for driving through the trails, while 17” custom-milled concept beadlock wheels work with chunky Goodyear tyres.
LOTS OF CABIN EXTRAS
The loadbed is fitted with a (optional) concept spare-wheel – it’s a 37”! – carrier.
The re-designed Ram Heavy Duty’s interior is complimented by Mopar brushed stainless-steel sill guards carrying the R-A-M logo (from the Mopar catalogue). Waterproof Mopar all-weather mats defend against water, slush and general trail debris.
Mopar is said to have worked closely with the Ram brand, engineering, and the Product Design Office to create its range of products for the 2019 Ram Heavy Duty.
Development included thousands of hours’ testing and validation to meet strict standards. Factory-exclusive data – information not available to the aftermarket – helped to integrate Mopar parts and accessories with the Ram Heavy Duty.
Most of Mopar’s list of production parts and accessories will be available right at vehicle launch – pity that won’t, of course, be in South Africa!
A few additional Mopar products for the new 2019 Ram Heavy Duty not featured on the display truck at CAS include:
• Trailer camera: New for 2019 Ram Heavy Duty, it 30cm screen in the centre to watch
• Fifth-wheel hitch: Fifth-wheel hitches available in a number of styles/options
•Gooseneck towball kit: Features locking mechanism and two safety chains
• Bed extender: Extends bed with tailgate down
• Bedliners: Options include under-the-rail and RamBox bedliners
• Cargo ramp: With rubberised non-slip tailgate protector, safety straps, and hooks
• Toolboxes: Available in conventional moulded splash guards, Ram logos
• Wireless charger: Quick and easy wireless charging
• Katzkin seats: Upgrade the cab with handcrafted, leather-trimmed, interior options
•Tonneau covers: Available in a variety of options – soft, hard or folding
• Side steps: Available in a variety of sizes and finishes
….MORE ABOUT RAM
In 2009, the automaker says, the Ram Truck brand launched as a standalone to focus on bakkie-buyers – which led to designing what it claims are the industry’s most innovative, award-winning trucks, emphasising durability, strength, technology and efficiency.
”With a full line-up of trucks, ,” the automaker says, ”the Ram brand builds trucks that get the hard work done and families where they need to go from the Ram 1500 with innovative design, the highest quality materials and class-exclusive technology to the Ram Heavy Duty which claims to out-power and out-tow every single competitor.”
It also claims to benchmark:
• Most torque with Cummins turbodiesel
• Best towing capacity: 16 000kg (Ram 3500)
• Heaviest pay loads: 3500kg (Ram 3500)
• Most luxurious: Ram Limited with wood, leather and 30cm touchscreen
• Best ride/handling: Link coil rear and auto-level air suspension
• Most cabin space (Ram Mega Cab)
• Most capable full-size off-road bakkie (Ram Power Wagon)