JOHANNESBURG, South Africa – Volkswagen’s new compact SUV, the T-Cross, will be launched in South Africa in September 2019 as what VW describes as ”a cool addition to our fast-growing SUV range”. Dealers will be taking orders for the cars from July 15 2019.
The SUV’s will be available with a VW Connect data plug., an easy ‘Plug and Play’ retrofit connectivity solution which, VW says, ”has countless benefits for our customers”.
Group VW apparently plans to invest billions of Euros in digitisation from 2019-2024 to make the each of its vehicles a central hub on the Internet of Things. ”This,” the automaker says, ”means the development of a group-wide platform and digital services for the Volkswagen We ecosystem is being accelerated.”
Here in South Africa, VW’s connected community strategy started with AppConnect – available to iOS users since 2016 and Android users since 2018 – but will now spread with the VW Connect data plug’s introduction on the T-Cross from September 2019.
The unit plugs in to each car’s onboard diagnostic interface to send data, via Bluetooth, to the owner’s‘ smartphone so vehicle data can be read by the owner or driver. Functions will include;
- Overview of the most important car data
- Car servicing
- Assessment of driving style
- Overview of fuel consumption
- Automated saving of the vehicle’s location
- Digital logbook that can be exported
- Collectiion of trophies and points
- 24/7 contact to the Volkswagen Assist hotline
The connectivity will also be extended to all VW vehicle owners from 2020 to replace the current My VW App in South Africa but for now (2019) will be standard on the T-Cross Comfortline, Highline and R-Line models.
Fast facts about the Volkswagen T-Cross
- The T-Cross is 4.2m long (18cm more than the Polo), 1,6m tall and has a wheelbase of 2.55m
- The driver and front passenger will sit 60cm above the road, the rear passengers a trifle higher
- Up to four USB ports and optional inductive wireless charging
- Optional Beats sound system with a 300W, eight-channel, amplifier and a separate sub-woofer in the boot
- Optional safety and driver assistance systems: front radar, lane-keeping, hill start assistance, auto cruise-control, parking and blind-spot radar
- A high score in Euro NCAP safety tests
- 16” wheel rims, 17” alloy wheels option.18” alloy rims option only the Highline and R-Line models
- Several engine choices will be available, ranging from 70-856kW and with a variety of manual and auto transmissions
- Prices start at less than R300 000
Each unit will be delivered with a three year or 120 000km warranty, a three-year or 45 000km VW service plan, and a 12-year anti-rust through warranty.
Service intervals 15 000km.