NEW YORK – An American group calling itself The Change Wind Corporation claims to have developed and validated something called a Wind and Solar Tower as Earth’s only pollution-free generator of electricity for the battery-vehicle market.
The WST says it’s ”a timely entrant” into the auto industry’s transition to battery-powered vehicles to cope with the widening realisation that current (no pun intended) electricity grids were never intended to cope with the power demands of electric vehicles.
• More than 60% of grid energy is generated by burning coal, oil, or natural gas.
• Power stations, WST says, are inefficient. ”The US Department of Energy says more than 60% of electricity generation is lost in conversion – three kWh worth of fuel must be burned to deliver one kWh to users.
• EV charging requires huge amounts of electricity but only for a short time. The power needed for a single Level-3 180-360kW 480V charge is equivalent to the grid load of 50 houses during that charging time.
The American EV fleet is swelling without support from green and expanding infrastructure to feed out-of-home charging, anxiety-free, support for electric travel.
1.2-MILLION CHARGERS NEEDED
The federal government is funding a drive to add 500 000 charging outlets across the country without addressing where that electricity would come from or, more important, if that electricity can be generated pollution-free.
The California Energy Commission says the state will need 1.2-million chargers (up from the er, current, 73 000) by 2030 to meet the demand from the 7.5-million anticipated passenger EVs on California’s roads. This can be accomplished only if today’s electric grid can be expanded quickly and in a clean fashion.
At present power for the US grid supporting EV charging stations is generated from fossil fuels (60%), nuclear (20%), and renewables (20%) that includes hydro, wind, and solar. The 60% comprised of coal, natural gas and petroleum will need to grow as demand to power EVs surges, thereby increasing pollution.
Yet, after the US successfully reduced CO2 emissions by changing from coal to natural-gas fuelled electricity generation, there is now a movement to limit the building of more natural-gas generating plants as they release greenhouse gasses. In California, where brownouts and blackouts are common due to excessive electricity demands, the last nuclear power plants will be closed by 2025, further reducing green fuel options.
WIND AND SOLAR? ONLY 10% SO FAR
Elon Musk has said the biggest obstacle to growing the EV market is the electric grid’s inability to charge such vehicles. According to the US’ National Renewable Energy Laboratory, electrification of transportation and other sectors will require doubling generation by 2050. The country, to make the transition to EVs a truly clean step forward, needs fresh solutions that are non-polluting, efficient, and offset future grid-load.
Wind and solar (today, 2022) account for about 10% of the total US electricity grid. Combining those two sources in a patented device for performance and safety could provide a clean solution while reducing the burden on the grid.
Change Wind Corporation’s Wind & Solar Tower (WST) directly addresses this need. The power it generates is pollution free and efficiently produced on site by both wind and sun.
OUTPUT FROM ONE TOWER
The WST combines a six-helical-blade wind generator with a self-cleaning solar panel and a 1000kWh storage battery (optional for commercial applications) that cuts electric-grid greenhouse gas emissions and additional grid load.
One Tower charges as many as 8455 EVs a year with 20kWh fast charges of renewable power providing 965 000km of driving range per tower per year.
Power output specifications will include:
- Solar and wind generation combined = 52.5kW/hour
- Maximum annual solar output 65 000 kWh @ 45% duty cycle
- Maximum annual wind output 104 000kWh @ 33% duty cycle
- Total annual output = 169 000 kWh
Key features of the WST Charging System include:
- Small footprint with dual generating systems
- 25-metre pylons to maximise wind capture
- Helical blades for greater efficiency
- Power generation at lower wind speeds
- Proprietary self-cleaning solar panel
- Simultaneous fast-charging of up to six EVs
- Integral 100kW battery storage
The WST will be connected to the grid to supply surplus power or to use power from the grid to charge additional EVs.
Demand for more EV pollution-free charging stations is keen so more charging stations powered by pollution-free electricity are required. Wind and solar towers represent a smart future for EV travel.
- To learn more, visit www.changewindcorp.com.